Tuesday, March 30, 2010

"If" by Kipling

When I first recited If by Kipling poem at one of the debate sessions at school I never really made any sense of the words. I think I was 10?! Its was just a bunch of words thrown in together by some dead English poet and one was supposed to appreciate and applaud it.

This is an excerpt: (If)
If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;

To me those words just mean one thing. You got one life to live and no time to waste. Move your butt and make the most of it. Triumph and Disaster will happen and that's not reason enough to stop Living.

I am sometimes caught between living an ordinary (useless/comfortable) life or doing something fantastic with it. One would need tremendous courage to do that. For the most part be these "Ifless people" (my new word!!) are completely unaware that they excelled at something beyond everyone's imagination. And I'm not talking famous people. Just an ordinary everyday people and I'm constantly amazed at their strength and persistence to make it easy for the lesser mortals to believe that there is still Goodness in the World and the Big Guy up there.

The applaud just a few people who do not think what If.
  • I had more cars then I would keep a few at home and save fuel!! LOLOL
  • all my limbs worked then I would do everything I ever wanted to do, even laugh.
  • I were from MIT graduate living in the America? then i would do my BIT. eg. I've chosen William Kamkwamba, a Malawian boy, who at the age 14, in poverty and famine built a windmill to power his family's home.